Monday, February 04, 2008

 

OH OBAMA!

I've never been a particularly well-informed citizen. While I adored my Government class in 10th grade, it's kind of all been down-hill since then. I think my political cynicism set in at about 18, long before it was fashionable in my set - I just don't believe anything that ever comes out of a politician's mouth - maybe it's my director's ears and eyes, but I can hear the subtext of lies and the misrepresentations underneath everything they say, and I can see the light of greedy self-interest flashing behind their eyes. I think people become politicians for much the same reason people become actors - because they like to hear themselves talk and they enjoy having people look at them. It's a rare rare day when you meet someone who does one of these things because they actually believe it can transform the world.

So, I was prepared to believe what I read in the papers about Barak Obama - that he's a nice guy, charismatic, but too inexperienced to survive in Washington, too optimistic to actually get anything practical done. But I ain't singin' that sad media-driven tune any longer. I have seen Obama's marketing material, and I am hooked. He is speaking the message my soul longs to hear - that we are one country, that we are not divided, that our world is not fixed and fatally rocketing toward the doom time, that we can change ourselves, our national identity and our impact on the rest of the world for the better. And here's the thing...he's already won. Whether or not he becomes the next president of the United States, in a short time, he has already transformed our national dialogue. I know there are people who will say that it will all be forgotten in a few short months, but I don't think so. I think the fact that he is gathering so much support so quickly shows that people everyone are hungry to be having this conversation about change. We are starving in fact, for something positive to feed our innate desire to be good and do good in the world. The hope I feel is enough to make me get off my ass and actually do something, like help register people to vote, or walk down the street and talk to my neighbors about the things we care about.

My friend Yosha (can't really come up with a pseudonym for someone with such a cool name) emailed this morning about his support for Obama, and his willingness to temporarily suspend his mistrust of the whole political marketing machine. He invited me to check out this new Obama music-video on YouTube. It's pretty cool. I invite you to view it too. And he shared some of his thoughts about why we need Obama as our next president that I am completely in agreement with:
"Okay, I'm just going to say it: it is way past time, way past time we had a president who isn't white. There are a whole lot of ethnicities in this place, and I'm just sayin'. Sayin' that if we claim to do more than pay lip service to this whole created-equal thing, it's mighty odd there hasn't been the slightest shift in presidential skin tone. That was cute of Toni Morrison and all, but sorry, Bill Clinton was not and never will be black.

Mike Tyson is black, though, and I wouldn't vote for him -- probably because he'd kill me and eat me before I could cast my vote. Ethnicity is a concern, but it is certainly not the only one; rationality also plays a big role. That and scruples. Obama has them. Iowa and South Carolina think he's electable, and I do too. Listen to what he says. It's okay if you're skeptical about rah-rah patriotic American bullshit. You should be, if you're any kind of American worth having. Still, I'm going to vote, and I'll vote for Obama."
Me too. And may God send him an army of angels to clear the path and whisper sense into everyone's ears.
Be well.

Image sourced from www.6seconds.org

Labels:


Comments:
Yosha and I are on the same wavelength because I sent you that video also. But where I disagree, because, well, I am black and I guess I get to say this (and I could go on ALL DAY about the Toni Morrison comment and believe I did when she said it): It has so much more to do with who he is than what he looks like. Because I think it's time for a woman too, just for me it's not Hillary. And if you had been here to see the muckraking this time around you would see how elevated his campaign is. I return to my earlier blog post about Obama to say that he is as close as we are going to get to what America was meant to be: (ideally, we know the founding pops had slaves!) a place of hope and possibility. And even after working on several political campaigns, call me the naive director - because I still believe in hope. It's frankly, right now, all I've got!

Loving you long distance,
 
Hope is better than the alternative. You just have to keep paying attention.

Thanks for the quote, Minkgirl. And nanda mama, you are right that there is a great deal more, and a great deal of greater importance, to Obama than his physical appearance or ethnic background. It's not that I think he, or anyone in particular, is entitled to that position because of the way they look. Being black wasn't what made Rev. King great, but it sure as hell informed it.

There is a white male power structure in this country that has been in control for 232 years. Racism, which is mostly a matter of classism, is pervasive in the United States. Sexism, which exists at a more fundamental level, is pervasive as well. Yeah, you bet I want to see a woman president. I'd also like to see an atheist president. And a gay president. And an Asian president, and a Jewish president, and an artist president. I want a geek president who is awkward at parties but a savant about policy.

What I want, in short, is a redefinition of who we are and how we should behave as a nation. We need a shift on a deep, fundamental level that involves way more than just one person, black or female though they may be.

I believe that Hillary Clinton could shift the fate of the United States in a positive direction. I just don't believe that she could shift it as far as Barack Obama. We really don't have much more time to waste being complacent about our future.
 
I guess that means I'm an angel
 
Here here felix helix. I got you. And I love what you said about classicism. Our collective refusal to address socio-economics as a major dividing line in our country is dangerous. It was a powerful part of Edwards' stump speeching for me. It is present in every conversation about healthcare, childcare, access to healthy food and fresh water (soon to be our next brokered commodity) - all spells out people who can afford these "things" as well as people who have access to information about how to get these "things."

A geek and artist....I'm waiting too.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?