Sunday, August 22, 2010

 
Gratitude Project
Day 10 – Aerial Boundaries


I have had the same favorite song for a really long time – at least 15 years. The song is called Aerial Boundaries, and it is written and performed by the extraordinary late guitar genius Michael Hedges. My father introduced me to this song, which is one of the reasons it is so special to me. He and I even saw Michael perform it live once. And he told me the story (possibly apocryphal) of its origin – that Michael wrote the song for a documentary movie about people who were traveling through the Arctic via sled dog teams. You can hear both the vast openness of that kind of natural space and also a sense of racing movement in the song. You can also hear a deeper pulse – a heartbeat? – which remains steady despite how much the melody travels. If you watch him play the song, you will be absolutely astounded by the fact that anyone could conjure so much sound out of a single instrument. Whenever I need to calm myself or dive into a deeper place within, this is the first song I listen to.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?