Monday, September 20, 2010

 
Gratitude Project
Day 17 – Labor

My sister just sent me an exciting email. Her friend J is in the early stages of labor with her first child. My sister was about to head to J’s house to offer some help, and she wanted ideas (from a veteran of 2 labors) for how to be of use and comfort to her friend. It’s a mystical coincidence, because tonight is the night before my birthday – the night of my mother’s back labor with her first child 40 years ago. In Judaism, holidays start the night before the day. Interestingly, most labors also start at night – in the quiet midnight to dawn hours when the veil between worlds is at its thinnest. I am grateful for my own labors – 44 hours with Gman and 35 hours with Miss V – which were some of the most difficult nights (and days) of my life – but which also taught me about my own resilience, and about the tremendous value of giving yourself over to an experience rather than trying to control it. I’m sending out love and positive energy to J tonight. I hope her labor will be both a good teacher to her and become a positive part of her life story.

Labels:


Comments:
Wow, that's beautiful! J will be so proud. And I was so incredibly honored and grateful to get to be with you through both of your labors and births. What a blessing. - Elise
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?